Learning the different surgical instruments is one of the most important yet challenging areas of study for students. Surgical technicians, also called operating room technicians, must be able to identify all instruments that may be required during a procedure.
Because surgical techs work as part of a surgery team, they must be able to think clearly in emergency situations as well as know how to handle hundreds of different instruments properly and quickly. Therefore, knowing each instrument and anticipating what it is the doctor performing the surgery will need next helps streamline the surgical procedure.
Thankfully there are few helpful apps to help prospective surgical technicians learn the equipment necessary to successfully assist nurses and surgeons during an actual surgery.
- Touch Surgery: This app is an interactive mobile surgical simulator that guides you step-by-step through every part of an operation. Although primarily designed for surgeons, this app can help surgical techs learn how to assist surgeons in the operating room.
- Surgical Instrument: This app features a search area for the most commonly used instruments in surgery with an added game format to identify instruments.
- General Surgery Matching Trivia App: The objective of this app is to correctly match the items on the screen in a limited amount of time within several surgical categories.
- Human Anatomy!: The Human Anatomy application is a quick reference app that contains the information of nineteen different biological systems.
- Medical Terminology and Abbreviations: This app has over 1,000 terms and abbreviations available and makes it easy to quickly learn and understand complex medical terminology.
- Medscape: Physicians, medical students, nurses, and other healthcare professionals should download this app to find accurate clinical answers.
- MedicalRadio: This app delivers world class medical education and information to help healthcare professionals learn about developments in clinical research, treatment advances, expert opinions, and patient care strategies.
This list is just a sample of the many useful apps available to medical professionals. For prospective surgical technicians or practicing surgical technicians, learning as much as possible about the craft will keep you focused towards your goals and increase your job success.